Massage Therapy is a safe and effective treatment which benefits people of all ages and conditions.
AMTA Definition of Massage Therapy
- MASSAGE THERAPY is a profession in which the practitioner applies manual techniques, and may apply adjunctive therapies, with the intention of positively affecting the health and well-being of the client.
- MASSAGE is manual soft tissue manipulation, and includes holding, causing movement, and/or applying pressure to the body.
- THERAPY is a series of actions aimed at achieving or increasing health and wellness.
- MANUAL means by use of hand or body.
Massage Therapy helps relaxation, releasing stress and tension in our bodies.
Too much unresolved stress in our lives can cause constant muscular tension. This tension or tightness reduces the flow of blood and oxygen to the muscles and organs and also restricts nerve & lymph supply. Tension creates a tendency for a build up of toxins in the body, and reduces the flow of the more subtle energy or life force (Prana or Chi).
Tension can lead to symptomatic feelings of fatigue, heaviness, aches and pains, tightness of muscles and stiffness. Muscular stress can increase the likelihood of strains and injuries. Muscular stress also distorts the skeletal structure which further compounds existing problems and creates new ones.
Benefits of Massage
- The following are some of the beneficial results that you can receive from massage treatments
- Improve circulation Increase blood circulation and the flow of tissue fluid (lymph)
- Improve lymphatic drainage
- Help breathing Stimulate breathing Assist the flow of nutrients & oxygen to tissues
- Lower the heart and pulse rate
- Detoxify the body systems Hasten excretion or waste products
- Assist weight loss
- Nourish the skin (with the right oils) Promote nourishment, repair and renewal of body cells
- Assist in removal of deposits of tissue
- Stimulate activity in skin and its glands
- Improve muscle tone Induce muscle tone
- Soothe and relax nerves
- Relieve Stress
- Release emotional tension
- Relieve pain in certain conditions
- Relax mind and body deeply
- Give pleasure
- Create a feeling of well-being.